Marketing executives work closely with other employees such as advertising, market research, production, sales and distribution staff.
They are responsible for:
- analysing and investigating price, demand and competition
- devising and presenting ideas and strategies
- promotional activities
- compiling and distributing financial and statistical information
- writing reports
- organising events and product exhibitions
- monitoring performance
- managing campaigns on social media.
Opportunities for promotion are excellent – normally into senior marketing roles or related employment areas.
- Local authorities
Vacancies are advertised by TARGETjobs, careers services, national newspapers and relevant publications such as Campaign, Marketing and Marketing Week and their respective websites. Speculative applications can be effective as some opportunities may not be advertised.
There are routes into marketing for both university graduates and school leavers.
Typically marketing opportunities are open to graduates from any degree discipline. However, some employers may prefer graduates with a degree or postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject such as marketing, business or statistics. Some jobs, particularly those in industrial marketing, require a scientific or technical background.
Relevant paid or voluntary work experience can be beneficial. This can be gained in any commercial area which requires contact with customers or the general public. Larger employers also run vacation courses and placements which can give a useful insight into the profession.
To find out how to get into marketing via a school leaver route, visit the business section of TARGETcareers, our website aimed at school leavers.
- Good teamwork skills
- Communication skills
- Good organisation and planning skills
- Commercial awareness
- Numerical skills
- IT skills
Next: search graduate jobs
Jobs by Category
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, Audio + Video Technology & Communications
- Business Management & Administration
- Customer Service (BPO , KPO , LPO , Voice Process)
- Education & Training
- Govt & Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Human Resources
- Human Service
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety & Security
- Marketing / Sales
- Science Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
- Work from Home